“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Friday, April 29, 2011

string theory!

I often think that if I had a chance at a second life, I would be a theoretical physicist. I don't mean that I wish I was a theoretical physicist, and I don't think I have the mind for it (I have a hard time reading a street map, especially when I am on the street. I'm not exaggerating, either. It's incredibly frustrating!)--I guess I should say I don't have mind to figure out spacial properties, but I do have the mind to figure out puzzles/logic, which is why I can somewhat understand string theory, especially when the spacial models are provided. I think string theory is fascinating (yes, watching videos like this is something I consider to be very fun), and Brian Greene does a good job of explaining the basics in the clip below. This is what I was referring to the other day, when I said that the process of finding an answer is sometimes more exciting than the answer itself. Enjoy:

1 comment:

  1. "I have a hard time reading a street map"

    Generally speaking, this is a gender difference. Men who are low in testosterone have trouble with spatial relationships, whereas women who are high in testosterone do not. Each gender has its strengths and its weaknesses. Of course, nothing is true for everyone who is male or everyone who is female.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.