So, I have this book called 1,001 Ways to Save the Earth. It's one of those mini coffee-table type books, where each page has a few tips. My goal is to share a tip every day this month (yeah, we both know right now that it probably won't happen every day, but I will post 30 total tips), and some of these tips are really easy. Like this one:
#323 Use a glass at the water cooler instead of disposable plastic cups or paper cones.
How simple, right? Just bring a glass from home, and wash it out at the end of each day. And if you are home every day (like me), invest in a reusable water bottle instead of buying bottled water. Think of all that plastic (and money) you'll be saving... Even though most plastic water bottles are recyclable, "millions find their way into landfills every day in the U.S. alone," says the Berkeley Ecology Center. Plus, "the manufacture of plastic #1 [which is used for most disposable water bottles] uses large amounts of energy and resources and generates toxic emissions and pollutants that contribute to global warming."
Have I given you enough reasons yet?
EDIT: It seems that the business world is a bit further ahead in the environmental game than I realized. Here's my dad's comment, which had too many characters for him to post in the comment forum:
Great tip but might be a little obsolete, most respectable companies moved into this space in 2005 doing away with the traditional water cooler (Larger Plastic Bottle Type) in favor of the more environmentally friendly purification systems. Most business I have entered since 2005 (over 100 a week for at least 4 years around the Twin Cities) went to a workplace with user friendly carbon reduction solutions instead of the traditional water cooler. Most went to a two stage (reverse osmosis) or six stage dispenser that also reduces the need of non recyclable filters (again reducing carbon). Most employees are instructed to bring their own glasses/water bottles and the last two companies I was employed at, provided them to employees and guests alike. Now when we have to order paper products for larger events or guests who choose to use them (normally for hot products like coffee) we use products made from paper with PLA corn plastic lining which require less energy to produce than petrochemical plastics and are fully biodegradable/compostable in commercial composting environments. They are also ASTM D6400 Compliant, BPI Certified Compostable. And believe it or not we still make a profit. Now government buildings/offices are a totally different animal, big time waste and abuse of the environment. I won’t even get started on schools that have energy star rated windows and ventilation systems but waste more plastic shipping bands, plastic water bottles, paper, cardboard, the list is almost never ending. Side note, also the biggest user of the old school water cooler......This makes me happy.
photo source
I refuse to buy bottled water if I can avoid it.. first of all.. IT'S WATER!! Why am I PAYING for it?!! And secondly, yeah, even putting aside the fact that so many end up in landfills, they're not terribly sustainable when you consider the energy and petroleum involved in making them, AND in recycling them.
ReplyDeleteI totally agree with you!
ReplyDeleteAlso, most people have no idea that plastic bottles are a petroleum product!
Everyone making small changes like that can alter a whole society.
ReplyDeleteEvery day is Earth day, love it
ReplyDelete