“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Monday, December 13, 2010

What's in Your Personal Care Products?

The Environmental Working Group launched a personal care product safety guide called Skin Deep in 2004. The search-able database can tell you what is in many of the everyday personal care products we use, and the health risks that those ingredients have been linked to.

On a daily basis, I don't wear much make-up - just some tinted moisturizer, some mascara, and maybe some blush or something to make me look alive (I am deathly pale in these cold months). I do have eye shadow and liner for when I feel like it, and of course hand creme and lotion and toothpaste and shampoo and the regular stuff most of us have. I am entering each of my products into this Skin Deep database, and I am surprised that products I thought weren't bad actually contain some pretty harmful chemicals, some of which have been linked (through scientific research) to cancer.

This is possible because personal care products are not required to be tested for safety. And if you think small, even trace amounts of chemicals and other ingredients are harmless, maybe this video will change your mind (oh, and this isn't just about women's products- the average man uses six personal care products a day):

3 comments:

  1. I don't use much, but it's probably bad. I'm going to have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My name is Nitin from Toronto. I am interested in your writing. Some of your posting are good, I can say, best. Can you please tell me how to subscribe to your blog post online?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aloe vera,

    Thanks so much for your kind words and your interest. You can either click on the "Follow" icon on the left and create a Google account, you or you can subscribe to either posts or comments by clicking on the icons on the left under "Subscribe to H&N." Again, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.