“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Atheism explained in Toy Story terms


When Evelyn and I got back from grocery shopping this morning, her doll was on the living room floor, right where she left it. She screamed "Baby!" and was excited to get back to playing. I replied, "Yup, there's your baby, right where we left it," and I was reminded of the movie Toy Story and how the toys come to life when the humans are gone. I imagined all of Evelyn's toys coming to life and laughed to myself. Then it got me thinking . . . this can be used to explain atheism in very simple terms:

There is no evidence for me to believe that the toys came to life while we were gone. The only reason I might even think of the possibility of toys coming to life is because someone told a story about it. Am I going to live my whole life based on a story someone else came up with from who knows where? You'd call me crazy!

I could write more, of course, but Evelyn just woke up and is calling Mama . . .

3 comments:

  1. Sarah, you may find this article interesting.. it's a review of Toy Story as an Atheist parable

    http://www.infidels.org/families/parents/toystoryreview.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your point makes perfect sense to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat - You've got a good head on your shoulders.

    Yandie - Thanks so much for the link to that article! I'll do a quick post to direct people to it :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.