“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Monday, October 18, 2010

How Does a Shoe Advertisement Justify Objectifying Women?

Easy! They just design a new line of shoes, in this case it's Reebok's "Easy Tone," and claim that the shoes give you a better butt, and presto - it becomes okay to use shots of women's asses as an entire commercial. See below (I couldn't find the English version online):



Notice that we never once see any of the women's faces - they have been reduced to one body part, one object - all for the sake of sales. And it's pretty clear that Reebok is gearing these shoes towards women only -
"Lab results show improvements in muscle tone when tested in the lab and great reviews from women around the world who have worn them!"

I cringe at the thought of how many women will buy into this ad.

I saw this commercial while watching The Office on Hulu last night, within a half hour of seeing an almost identical commercial for Famous Footwear.


Ridiculous. Being in "better shape" is not all about how firm your ass is - what about blood pressure, cholesterol levels, the ability to run long distances? But silly me, none of that would make for good TV. As always, sex sells.

2 comments:

  1. You've just described the techniques of 90% of the advertising companies in the world. What I really hate about this type of thing, is they show them on shows that kids watch also...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know - this country has a problem with hyper-sexed media and under-sexed education. In other words, kids see sexual images all day long (or hear songs, watch movies, etc.), yet many public schools lack solid, comprehensive, and accurate sexual health education.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.