“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Monday, August 23, 2010

Good News and Monday's Poem: The Boundaries of Science

Today's poem is from Hunger Mountain, the VCFA journal of fine arts. VCFA stands for the Vermont College of Fine Arts. Why am I sharing a poem from this journal? Because it's my way of telling you that I've been accepted into the creative writing program at VCFA along with a merit-based scholarship. I am beaming with joy :D

This poem, "The Boundaries of Science," is by Christopher Ankney. Below is just an excerpt - read the poem in its entirety here. I really encourage you to do so - well worth the few minutes it would take you.

The Boundaries of Science by Christopher Ankney

We are earthbound lovers suffocating from the gravity
of earthbound situations: so I confess to terrible thoughts: snapping

rude necks, stabbing myself in the eye with a fork; testing the boundaries of the electric fence
that is our bodies: our nervous
systems.

I confess to watching strangers through glass
and holding stares until everyone looks down at their feet.

[...]

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations!
    I'm so happy for you. You are an excellent writer and I hope you'll be sharing some of your "school work" with us here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Pat! I still have two other schools to hear back from, but I'm really leaning towards Vermont. I am just relieved that I at least got into one school. And we'll see about the school work :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. like a fork in the eye. nailed it! CONGRATS MY DEAR :)

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.