“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Thursday, August 19, 2010

I Love Brains. And Stars.

Before I was an English major at Winona State University, I was a psychology major (and creative writing minor). I had intentions of becoming a clinical psychologist, and I even had thoughts about med school so I could be a psychiatrist - until I realized that I can't handle needles or blood or hospital hallways even, and so med school probably wouldn't work out for me. But, I wanted to study the human brain because I find it incredibly fascinating. And I still find it incredibly fascinating and still love learning about it. I try to imagine all the neurons zapping signals this very second - how much it takes for me to put a sentence together in my brain and then type it on my computer - I try to imagine the speed of that. Incredible.
Or I think about Evelyn's still-developing brain, and just this morning I read that she was born with 100 billion brain cells. And that by the time she's three, her brain will have made about 1,000 trillion connections. 1,000 trillion?! I can't even fathom that number. It's like trying to fathom the universe and what (if anything) is outside (if there is an "outside") of it (clearly another fascinating topic...). How many connections, then, have I made? How many have you made?
And interestingly, whenever I try to imagine the human brain with all it's connections, I imagine all of the stars as neurons, and the light they emit is like the synapses sending signals . . . from one star to another.



4 comments:

  1. Some things are just too massive in scale to understand.
    Created, evolved, invented, or whatever! The human brain is an amazing machine...

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful, positive focus.
    I will never forget our talks about the importance of learning
    USE IT OR LOOSE IT. <3 beautiful Evelyn..

    if my account is correct i have made: 402,940,953 SYNAPSE TO SYNAPSE
    connections

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat - Yes, it is very amazing. And I've heard most of us only use a small portion of our brain . . . (and I don't mean that in a bad way).

    Elise - I think you've made that many connections X 3. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, and you're so right about using or losing it - the more a connection is made, the more likely it becomes permanent, and connections that are not often repeated are lost.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.