So I've started reading The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (I've read excerpts before/heard him read parts, but the full experience is way better), and I came across this eloquent passage I cannot fully stop thinking about.
"An atheist . . . is somebody who believes there is nothing beyond the natural, physical world, no supernatural creative intelligence lurking behind the observable universe, no soul that outlasts the body and no miracles - except in the sense of natural phenomena that we don't yet understand. If there is something that appears to lie beyond the natural world as it is now imperfectly understood, we hope to eventually understand it and embrace it within the natural. As ever when we unweave a rainbow, it will not become less wonderful." (my emphasis)
Feel free to discuss. If you're a regular reader who's never commented, I encourage you to share your thoughts. :)
I usually try to steer clear of politics and religion but I have a comment or two about this subject.
ReplyDeleteI'm very well aware of Mr. Dawkins and I agree with much of what he says, my problem with him is that he regards "believers" as idiots and says so! I'm not sure if that is productive to what he is trying to get across. In the long run, maybe it is.
The passage that you quoted is an amazing one. Especially the line about rainbows...
I've seen him debate theological experts a few times and he pretty much destroys them every time.
I guess you can see on which side of the debate I reside. If you ever have the chance to read my family and childhood posts, you will better understand why I feel the way I do...
Great post Sarah!
Funny you should bring this up, Sarah. So after I read your guest post on Writing in Purgatory..I got to some serious thinking...about what I think. Most of the time including now, I don't know what I think. I was raised Catholic but was also encouraged by teachers, priests, etc. to question what I am told and to do some searching on my own. Do I believe in God? A "supernatural creative intelligence?" What do I think is behind all of this, the universe?
ReplyDeleteThen I got to thinking...have I been in search of WHAT this higher power is only because I was taught that THERE IS a higher power? What if there is no higher power, no God? woah.. well then I don't know what to think about.
Oops, my brain just fell out.
Thanks so much for the detailed comments!
ReplyDeletePat-I think a lot of people tend to steer clear of politics and religion because, in my experience anyway, those topics often lead to some sort of conflict. But I think they can also lead to some very interesting insights and deep, meaningful conversation. Plus, politics and religion invade so many aspects of our lives that I can't not talk about it.
I agree with Dawkins on every point I've heard him make so far, but I haven't yet fully formed my opinion on whether his delivery might or might not be, as you say, the most productive at times. And yes, the rainbow part is what hooked me. Like poetry :)
And Lindsay-you make me laugh. Wish we were in the kitchen talking about this right now (maybe not that particular kitchen, but perhaps my or your kitchen). Maybe you are over-thinking? It's not so much about the final answer as it is about what it takes to get us there . . . I'll stop here because I could make this into the longest comment ever. I think your brain is much more intact that most people's ;)
Hi! First time reader (Pat recommended your blog).
ReplyDeleteI loved Dawkins' The God Delusion. Great book, that (to paraphrase Pat on my blog) put into words so much of what I thought/felt but had been unable to express, to others and even to myself.
And yeah, that is a great paragraph. Too bad it is a tad large for a tattoo. ;)