“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Association


I know this isn't the type of berry one would eat, but the photo (which I took in photo class) nonetheless reminds me of a line from Wendell Berry's poem, "A Standing Ground" (which I read in poetry class):


Better than any argument is to rise at dawn and pick dew-wet berries in a cup.


Is Berry right? Is that better than any argument? I tend to avoid arguments. Well, I'd be more accurate in saying that I tend to avoid conflict. Argument, actually, can be beneficial and enlightening. When people with opposing viewpoints have a civil (keyword) argument, they can begin to understand each other and perhaps compromise. Sometimes, though, arguments are simply exhausting, and that's when it is much better to rise at dawn and pick dew-wet berries in a cup.

1 comment:

  1. what i would give for a GOOD, CIVIL argument! imagine what we could learn!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.