If you haven't spent some time over at H_NGM_N, you should! There you will find a current issue of wonderful & eclectic poems, prose, and even some comics, from various & talented artists & writers. You will also find yourself easily lost in the beautiful archives, or perhaps you'll wander over to purchase one of the books H_NGM_N has published (Alexis Orgera's incredible stellar book of poems How Like Foreign Objects is on sale until the 27th! Pay whatever you want!), or maybe buy a T-shirt? Or maybe YOU are a writer and have some words of your own you'd like to submit!
Why am I telling you all this stuff about H_NGM_N? Besides the fact that this is a very cool journal, I am also now a part of the H_NGM_N team! (click here to see the proof!) As you'll see, my official title is Social Media Wrangler, which makes me feel super cool & bad ass.
Something else that's super cool -- this Coldfront interview with Nate Pritts, editor-in-chief and founder of H_NGM_N. Here Nate gets into some details about the magazine's history, but he also says some great things about poetry, the modern world, technology, etc.... making this an excellent Sunday morning read...
Some quotes I love too much to not share:
"All this structure – online environments & categorical identity schema – is a strategy, a device to get us to give over the only thing that matters: the spark of intrinsic humanity in each of us. Poetry can be, is allowed to be, a record of how we save our souls."
"Also, let’s not use the word “hurdle” – or even “challenges” or especially “problems.” I love the course & I
love the obstacles. Without them, without this playing field, you’d have no idea how fast I can run. We
need the constraint just as much as we need the universe it tightens."
"We’re using poetry to accomplish all these very low level things – things that are important &
human & fun, but we’re not reaching its potential. We’re not sounding it out, putting everything of
ourselves into it & so we’re not getting out of it as much as we could. We’re playing games with the only
weapon we have left."
"Everything I have in my life that means anything at all is a result of, or tied to, poetry."
Really, go read the rest and see for yourself.
Awesome for you!! Lovely, happy news :-)
ReplyDelete