". . . when you think about it, poets always want us to be moved by something, until in the end, you expect that a poet is someone who is moved by everything, who just stands in front of the world and weeps and laughs and weeps and laughs. . . "
-- Mary Ruefle
from "On Sentimentality," Madness, Rack, and Honey, Wave Books, 2012
I've never heard that quote before, but I think there is a lot of truth to it. I know when I write, it's rarely when I'm laughing though...
ReplyDeletehere in Colorado, they call tourists "gapers." I tell them I'm a life-gaper and I'm really happy about it. I think the opposite of gaperdom is jaded-which seems like a pretty sad state of being. You, Sarah, are also a life-gaper. In fact, you may have turned me into one in the first place. Poets...
ReplyDeleteI love you.
Delete