I think I might have to give up the photography business. Or should I say, I think I want to give up the photography business...
At least, I'm not taking on any more new projects starting now. I'm following my instincts. It's just not where my heart is, and for the amount of time and energy it takes, the little money I make is definitely not enough to make me want to keep going. In the business world, you have to keep up if you want to survive--keep up with technology, equipment, trends, marketing, etc....
I could half-ass it, but that would be wrong. Do it right or don't do it at all.
Poetry. That's where my heart is. And I'm about to begin my fourth and final semester of grad school at the best low-residency MFA writing program in the country. And I'm working with Matthew Dickman, a personal favorite and truly talented poet. And he's going to help me put my first book manuscript together, and there is no other option but to pour my absolute all into this, which, this time around, means making big cuts to other things, like the photography...
And I couldn't be more thrilled.
p.s. the Fucking Lit Party was fucking amazing, although I didn't come away with photos. The setting was so warm and intimate, once the reading began I just wanted to be in the moment, no distractions, no photographs.
It's tough when you have too many interests to give them all the time they deserve. I can see you giving up the photography business, but not photography in general. You have such an awesome eye... More time for poetry is always a good thing!
ReplyDelete