“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Monday, July 4, 2011

fireworks & metaphors

Last night I had the privilege of watching the Montpelier, VT fireworks with the poet and artist, and beautiful soul, Jen Bervin (see last post). She asked me if I remembered the first time I made a metaphor. I'm still thinking about this, but I don't remember. I don't remember, but wish I did, the first time I realized the effect of making an unlikely comparison between one thing and another...... I remember, and still have, the first journal entry I ever wrote, which tells about going to the circus for my 5th birthday. And I think I have my first poem, written when I was 11. I don't think I wrote poems before that, and if I did, I don't have them.

Do you remember the first time you wrote something for yourself? As in, not a school assignment, or a handwriting practice task?

Then I asked Jen if she remembered the first time she saw fireworks. She doesn't. I don't either, even though it seems like the type of thing most people would remember. I remember specific instances of seeing fireworks, but I don't remember the very first. Do you?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.