“I can never read all the books I want; I can never be all the people I want and live all the lives I want. I can never train myself in all the skills I want. And why do I want? I want to live and feel all the shades, tones and variations of mental and physical experience possible in life. And I am horribly limited.” --Sylvia Plath

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Evolution in the Thrift Store

What? Evolution in the thrift store? YES~ I found this amazing book on my and Evelyn's trip to the thrift store this morning. It's called Creature by Andrew Zuckerman - a large book of 150 stunning photographs of animals. Says the introduction by Graham Nash:
...The astounding complexity of the creatures shown here makes one truly appreciate the beauty of the ongoing process of life: of evolution, and, more specifically, of adaptation. Every single being in this book started life as a single-celled animal, only to evolve into what we see here. Each has become unique, and its originality demands attention.
To hone in on this originality, the photographer omitted any background, anything that would draw the eye away from the animal. Says Zuckerberg in the epilogue:
The resulting portraits explore not just the forms, textures, and movements of creatures, but more importantly, their characters. These images are an attempt to reveal an underlying consciousness that all living things share.
This book holds both beauty and education--two things I love to surround Evelyn with. Oh, and the price? $3.99. Although I don't know how anyone would ever want to give this book away, I am glad it is now in my hands.

can't get this pic to rotate correctly, sorry for straining your neck

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.